‘Understanding Your Pay’ eBook Provides Useful Info for Payroll Pros
As the leader in payroll training, the APA supports payroll professionals nationwide. By working with our local and national communities, you can get education, develop skills, and build a network of like-minded colleagues that will help you thrive as a payroll professional.
The APA offers resources such as industry publications, on-demand webinars, and networking opportunities that you can use to strengthen your payroll knowledge and skills. One of our publications, Understanding Your Pay, is an easy-to-read, eBook primer on payroll basics. Thanks to the sponsorship of Wisely by ADP, this is a free resource to reference when you, your team members, or fellow employees have paycheck questions. It is written by the same APA staff that brings you The Payroll Source®.
Understanding Your Pay provides useful information about the following:
- Key forms, including:
- Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
- 2021 From W-4, Employee’s Withholding Certificate
- 2021 Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement
- Paycheck basics
- When and how employees are paid
- Benefits of direct deposit
- Exempt vs. nonexempt status
- Calculating overtime
- Handling tips
- Pay stubs and taxes
- How to calculate federal income tax withholding using the wage bracket method and the percentage method
- Pre-tax and after-tax deductions
- Workplace rights and responsibilities
For those who want a better understanding of the payroll system or who want to reduce employee questions in the payroll department, Understanding Your Pay has the answers.
Go to www.americanpayroll.org and click on the “Membership” tab at the top. Then, choose “Free eBooks” from the pulldown menu options list. There you can select Understanding Your Pay from the various eBooks currently available.