CPP and FPC Exam takers – Be sure to register for the exam window that you have been studying for!
SPRING exam window is open through August 29, 2020 and will test candidates on laws and regulations as of January 1, 2019.
FALL exam window will be open September 5 through November 7, 2020 and will test candidates on laws and regulations as of January 1, 2020.
Schedule your exam through your online APA Certification Dashboard.
North America residents can now register and test from the comfort of their home or office using OnVUE, PearsonVUE's online proctoring exam delivery system!
The Fundamental Payroll Certification is open to all those who wish to demonstrate a baseline of payroll competency. The FPC is designed for:
- Entry-level payroll professionals
- Sales professionals/consultants serving the payroll industry
- Systems analysts/engineers supporting payroll systems
- Payroll service provider client representatives
You do not have to be an APA member to register for or take the FPC examination. As a first step, all candidates must download the FPC Candidate Handbook.
FPC Candidate Handbook
The FPC Candidate Handbook contains the information necessary to schedule an exam. It also contains information regarding suggested study tools, testing center guidelines, and how to maintain the FPC certification. Failure to follow the policies found in the handbook can result in a denial of the FPC designation.
Certification Exam Application
A Fundamental Payroll Certification candidate must complete and submit an application to take the FPC Exam. The APA’s Certification Department must approve the application before the candidate can register for the exam.
Already submitted an application?
About the Exam
The exam is offered in North America during the following windows:
Registration: January 14 - August 28, 2020
Exam: March 21 - August 29, 2020
* Note: The APA has extended the SPRING 2020 exam window through August 29. FPC and CPP exams administered through August 29, 2020, will feature questions based on federal laws and regulations in effect as of January 1, 2019.
Registration: July 7 - November 6, 2020
Exam: September 5 - November 7, 2020
Exams administered from September 14, 2019 through September 4, 2020, feature questions based on federal laws and regulations in effect as of January 1, 2019.
For information on taking the exam at APA’s Payroll Learning Centers, internationally, and on military bases, review the Candidate Handbook.
Exams administered from September 5, 2020 through September 10, 2021, feature questions based on federal laws and regulations in effect as of January 1, 2020.
Mid-year legislative and regulatory changes are NOT reflected on that year’s exam.
Preparing for the Exam
A number of study aids are available as additional preparation for the FPC exam (refer to the FPC Candidate Handbook’s bibliography, p. 16). No one study tool should be considered the only basis for exam preparation. Successful candidates indicate that they pursued a six- to twelve-week course of study and review based on the FPC content outline and Knowledge, Skills, and Ability statements.
Candidates can obtain study materials from the APA and/or attend APA preparation courses. The APA offers training and resources in a variety of formats including:
- Online research materials
- Training courses
- Web-based training
- Webinars on demand
- Chapter Study groups
Recertification by Exam
Individuals who are currently FPC-certified and cannot meet the FPC recertification by continuing education requirements may apply for recertification through examination. Recertification by examination requires the individual holding the FPC designation to take and pass the FPC exam during the calendar year in which their current FPC designation expires.
Because examination dates are limited to the spring and fall exam windows and to limited dates after taking the Foundations of Payroll Certificate Program at APA's Payroll Learning Centers, candidates are encouraged to determine an examination date early in the year. The FPC Committee reserves the right to review an applicant's qualifications and eligibility.
Ordering Your FPC Certificate and Lapel Pin
Due to state-imposed restrictions in Illinois, APA’s vendor (Scribes Inc.) is required to work under limited operating hours. Scribes is accepting online orders but processing and shipping may be delayed.
Login to be directed to the Scribes certificate order portal by using your APA ID and password.
- You can obtain your APA ID and password by emailing Customer Service or calling 210-224-6406.
Follow the links and instructions on the Scribes Inc. portal to submit your certificate order.
- Prior to ordering, verify the spelling of your name as you want it to appear on your certificate.
- If you need to make corrections to your name or to change your legal name, email your request (along with legal documentation for name changes) to [email protected]. Allow 3 to 5 business days for updates to be completed.
- You must wait for name changes to be effective on your APA profile before ordering your certificate. If a FPC Certificate is ordered with the wrong name the APA will not be responsible for the cost of a corrected certificate.
Once you submit the certificate order, you will receive a confirmation email from Scribes Inc. If you have any questions during or after placing a certificate order, please contact Scribes Inc. at (800)-441-6726 or [email protected].
- Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for your certificate to arrive.
If you have any questions email the certification department or call 210-226-4600.