GI Bill Education Benefits

You can use your GI Bill benefits to prepare for a career in payroll!

  • Avg. starting salary $34,354 for APA certified Payroll Practitioners
  • Avg. starting salary $55,432 for APA certified Payroll Supervisors
  • Avg. starting salary $58,150 for APA certified Payroll Systems Analysts

APA's comprehensive online course, Payroll Practice and Management: PayTrain® Fundamentals & Mastery Program, is now available to military personnel and their families through a partnership with Excelsior College's Center for Professional Development. Tuition assistance may cover up to 60% of the cost. You can start your course of study at any time. Open enrollment is available now.

Also, as of May 2008, 100% of the cost of the Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) and Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification exams may be eligible for tuition assistance through the GI Bill. APA certification is a requirement for many jobs in the payroll profession today and is a valuable credential that helps you get a job.

Don't forget to check out additional payroll education opportunities by consulting APA's Education and Publications Toolkit. APA's courses and conferences are available online, in a city near you, and at APA Learning Centers in Las Vegas, NV and San Antonio, TX.

The APA is a recognized member of DANTES, Education Support to the Department of Defense.

If you are not sure what education is right for you, consult a Learning Path.

Contact [email protected] for more information and help with enrolling, or call 210-226-4600 for assistance.


Get Started Today!

Step 1

Review your military education benefits eligibility at Excelsior College's Veterans Affairs Education Benefits page.

Step 2

Enroll in the Payroll Practice and Management program.

Step 3

Consult APA's Certification page to determine if you should prepare for the FPC or the CPP exam.

Step 4

Submit an application for the FPC or CPP exam to [email protected].

Note: For assistance with certification exam costs, file a claim using the VA Form 22-0830 along with your official FPC or CPP score report. Visit the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs website for full details on how to apply for benefits.

Also see the Checklist for Requesting Licensing & Certification Test Reimbursement.

Step 5

Find a great job at the APA Job Board and start your payroll career.