FPC and CPP Recertification
Holding the designation of a Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) is a valuable, objective credential that verifies a specified level of knowledge, skills, and abilities in the payroll profession. In order to maintain the FPC or CPP designation, certificants must either earn Recertification Credit Hours (RCH) by attending qualified educational events or retake the respective certification examination.
Coming Soon! Be on the lookout for the new Certification Dashboard where you will be able to apply for an exam, keep track of your APA transcript, check Recertification status, and much more.
- To avoid unnecessary late and reinstatement fees and to receive important updates and information from the APA, it is the responsibility of the designation holder to keep their profile updated at all times through the APA website using your APA ID and Password. If you do not know your APA ID and Password send your request to [email protected].
- Reminders and general instructions are emailed during March and November of the last year of the individual's recertification period.
- If recertifying through continuing education, designees have until early February of the year following the recertification period to submit a recertification log and fee to APA's Certification Department.
- Designees recertifying through reexamination must retake the respective FPC or CPP exam during the last year of their recertification period.
- Hundreds of recertifications are received during the recertification process, designees should allow at least 10 - 12 weeks for processing.
- Designees that successfully recertify will be notified via email and provided instructions to order their complimentary certificate.
- If, during the recertification period, an FPC attains the CPP designation, FPC recertification is not applicable. A new recertification period begins and is governed by the procedures for CPP recertification.
- Designations of individuals that do not meet the recertification requirements or who fail to submit the applicable information and/or fee(s) will be revoked retroactive to December 31 of the last year of their recertification period.
- In the event a designee is selected for mandatory audit, they will be required to submit all supporting documentation for each class listed on the recertification log.
All recertifying designees are required to pay a recertification fee in conjunction with the submission of their recertification log. The recertification fee for the CPP designation is $75. The FPC designation recertification fee is $50.
Late Submission Fee
Recertification logs and/or fees received on or after February 15 of the of the year following the recertification year but prior to June 1 of the same year will be assessed a late fee of $25 in addition to the regular recertification fee of $75 for CPP or $50 for FPC.
Recertification logs and/ or fees received on or after June 1 of the year following the recertification year will be assessed a $60 reinstatement fee in addition to the regular recertification fee with the late fee of $25. Total reinstatement cost is $160 for CPP and $135 for FPC.
Pay Recertification Fees Online
- Login to the store using your APA ID and password. (If you do not know your login information, please contact Membership Services at 210-224-6406 or use the "Forgot Password" link.)
- After you have logged in, select the appropriate Recertification fee based on your expiration year and designation type.
- Follow the payment steps through checkout. You will receive an order confirmation via email.
- After payment has been submitted, please do not forget to submit your recertification log to [email protected].
Ten percent of recertifying designees are randomly selected for an audit each year. If selected, a notice and detailed instructions for the audit process will be sent on or before March 15 of the year following the renewal year. If selected for audit ALL applicable copies of documentation proving program attendance MUST be submitted to APAs Certification Department for review. Documentation may be sent via email to [email protected] or faxed to 210-224-5814.
The Recertification Period
If recertifying for the first time, or if recertifying through reexamination, Candidates may begin to log programs attended immediately after attaining certification, through December 31 after the year in which certification was attained (FPC = 3 Years and CPP = 5 Years). Candidates who have recertified at least once through continuing education will log qualifying programs attended beginning January 1 following the year recertified through December 31 of the respective recertification period.
FPCs who certified (or recertified through reexamination) during 2013 have from the date of certification through December 31, 2016, to recertify through continuing education OR retake the FPC examination (subject to available examination dates).
FPCs who recertified through continuing education at the end of 2013 have from January 1, 2014 through December 31, 2016, to recertify through continuing education OR retake the FPC examination (subject to available examination dates).
CPPs who certified (or recertified through reexamination) during 2013 have from the date of certification through December 31, 2018 to recertify through continuing education OR retake the CPP examination (subject to available examination dates).
CPPs who recertified through continuing education at the end of 2013 have from January 1, 2014 through December 31, 2018, to recertify through continuing education OR retake the CPP examination (subject to available examination dates).
Recertification Credit Hours (RCH)
FPCs must accumulate a minimum of 60 qualifying RCH during a three-year recertification period OR retake and pass the FPC examination during the year their recertification is due.
CPPs must accumulate a minimum of 120 qualifying RCH during a five-year recertification period OR retake and pass the CPP examination during the year their recertification is due.
RCH are the official recertification unit for all those certified by the American Payroll Association. Enter the applicable approved RCH for each program attended in the program log. RCH are defined as the number of actual educational clock hours spent as a participant or instructor in direct participation in a structured educational format. Lunch, breaks, and exhibit hall times are not included as educational time. Time spent on general business topics at chapter or company meetings is not included as educational time. Partial hours must be rounded down to the next half-hour. Thus, a program one hour and forty-five minutes in length is rounded to 1.5 RCH. An indiviual can earn 1 RCH for every 60 Minutes of education. CEU, CPE and semester or quarter credits that meet the qualifying education criteria can be converted to RCH.
Recertification Credit Hour Conversion Chart
One (1) Continuing Education Unit (CEU) = 10 RCH
One (1) Semester Credit = 10 RCH
One (1) Quarter Credit = 5 RCHs
The conversion for CPE credits to RCH is the number of CPE credits, multiplied by 50, divided by 60, rounded down to the nearest 30 minute increment. Example: 7 CPE credits x 50 = 350; 350/60 = 5.83; rounded down to 5.5 RCH. Whereas, 8 CPE credits equate to 6.5 RCH.
All programs must cover material within the CPP or FPC content outline or within the areas defined as the payroll industry and must focus on increasing knowledge and/or skills in the practice of payroll. Payroll industry is defined as: Payroll production, reporting, accounting, systems, taxation, administration, education/consulting.
FPCs and CPPs can use a variety of resources to obtain the required RCHs: Training Courses and Conferences, Web-based Training, Webinars, Chapter Events, and Approved Providers.
FPC Recertification Log
CPP Recertification Log
One log is to be maintained for the recertification period. The designee is responsible for maintaining an accurate record of each program attended. Each program attended must be entered in the log and submitted to [email protected] by the applicable due date.
For additional information regarding recertification policies, please view the candidate handbook. For additional information regarding the recertification process, please view the appropropriate recertification log.